We encourage all of our guests to join us in our efforts to transform our habits and lessen our burden on the planet. By following some of these recommendations, you will reduce your ecological footprint while you enjoy our cloud forest paradise.
- Walk whenever possible. It’s good for your health, and it’s good for the environment.
- Turn lights off when they are not being used.
- If you do not think that your towels need to be washed, please place them on the hangers to signal to our employees that you wish to reuse them. This will save water and electricity, and it will prevent water pollution. Otherwise, place them on the floor and we will gladly wash them.
- Use water rationally, especially hot water. Heating water uses large amounts of energy.
- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle whenever possible. Actions as simple as rejecting over-packaged goods or pamphlets that will soon be discarded can make a big difference.
- Tap water in the hotel is 100% safe to drink. It comes from a natural spring, and it is tested regularly in a laboratory. Drink water in glasses or refill your bottles.
- Dispose of your trash properly using our recycling bins. There are trash and recycling receptacles in your
room and organic waste bins in the lobby and parking lot.
- Do not feed animals or extract plants or shells from any of the natural areas of Costa Rica. Aside from being illegal, in a place as visited as Monteverde this can cause great damage.
- Be silent while in the natural preserves in order not to frighten the wildlife.
- Spend your money in the right places. By purchasing from small businesses with sound ecological practices and buying local products manufactured ethically, you will contribute to the just distribution of wealth and the well-being of the planet. Do not hesitate to ask for our advice in doing so.
For information on how to contribute directly to our conservation and sustainability programs, see “Conservation Program.” Sustainability is an ongoing effort for us. All of your suggestions for improvement will be well received.
The Conservation Program at Hotel Belmar aims to provide guests with information about some of the major environmental protection and social welfare development projects in Monteverde. We invite you to learn more about these initiatives and to take the opportunity to participate in their development.
The Conservation Program seeks financial support from our guests that will be invested in various sustainability projects to improve environmental performance in the hotel and the community. Beyond financial support, if you have skills in any particular field – for example, IT, construction, biology, English, or others – you can support forest protection or social welfare projects with volunteer work. This is a great way to make your experience in Monteverde much more than just tourism. Please communicate with our reception staff if you are interested in collaborating with any particular program. Your help will be greatly appreciated!
We are proud members of Pack for a Purpose, an initiative that allows travelers like you to make a lasting impact in the communities you visit. If you save just a few kilos of space in your suitcase to bring supplies for area schools or medical clinics in need, you’ll make a priceless impact in the lives of our local children and families. Hotel Belmar utilizes Pack for a Purpose to support “Maintaining the Children’s Eternal Rainforest,” “Ranger Club Youths of Monteverde,” and “Medical Cadet Corps.” We hope to continue adding more projects that will involve our guests and contribute to Monteverde’s environment and society. These are some of the other organizations that have specific needs in Monteverde. Click here for more information
Monteverde Jr. Rangers and Monteverde Medical Corps
This project seeks to educate men and women by assisting in the development of all kinds of skills in a large variety of fields and services. Their main needs are means of transportation for their different activities and equipment to accomplish a large variety of activities as part of their learning and service process.
Sports Equipment Joint Monteverde
This project focuses on the promotion of sports and recreational activities for the young people of Monteverde on both competitive and non-competitive levels. The main needs of this project are sports and recreational equipment.
Band Professional Technical College of Santa Elena (CTPSE) and Friends
This group aims to develop musical talent for all age groups within the community of Monteverde. The main needs are musical instruments.
The Monteverde Conservation League (MCL).
This is a nonprofit civil organization of public interest of the State under Decree 33632-J. Its mission is “to conserve, preserve and rehabilitate tropical ecosystems and their biodiversity.” The main requirements of this project are maintenance, research, and environmental education
Santa Elena Preserve
The reserve was created thanks to the determination of the community as a way to utilize the benefits of tourism for development. Proceeds from ticket and guided walks are used for the protection and management of the reserve and also provide a better quality of education in the surrounding schools. The main goals of this group are maintaining the natural area, research, and environmental education.
Climate change is considered one of the major challenges we face today. It is the product of the negative impacts of human activity around the planet, especially during the past couple of decades. Fortunately, there is evidence that we still have a chance to do something to tackle this phenomenon and its impacts on the environment, economy, and society.
For this reason, Hotel Belmar would like to invite you to participate in a program to offset the damage caused by your ecological footprint. You may help protect the forests by acquiring certificates of environmental services issued by the FONAFIFO.
Some of the programs with which you can help are:
- Clean Trip: People who generate emissions of greenhouse gases by use of air, road, rail, or sea transportation can compensate for this pollution with a contribution toward a cleaner trip.
- Vital Water: People interested in helping can collaborate to restore and protect the diversity of water sources in Costa Rica.
- Alive Forest: People interested in helping restore the forest and protect biodiversity, water, and ecosystems may do so through donations.
Please visit the following links for more information: